Missing my First FurBaby

Last year ML and I had to say goodbye to our first furbaby, 'Lis'. It was one of the hardest and saddest things I have ever done. It happened only months after we got our Azoos diagnosis while we were still consumed with shock and grief. 2009 was the hardest year of my life. 2010 has been better, and I have the greatest hopes for 2011. 


I am remembering my beloved dog this week. 


(This is the email that I sent out to friends and family last year letting them know that we'd said goodbye.)
I am sorry to send this email out to you guys, but I just can't bear the thought of talking about it. The sadness and pain of this week is just too raw and overwhelming. After five days in critical care, his lungs were continuing to leak air into his chest, requiring a painful chest tube connected to a machine to suction the excess air. The vets working on him felt that it might have been an ongoing lung condition where bubbles form in his lungs then break creating small holes that take time to heal. Over time the bubbles get bigger and take longer to heal, eventually compromising his ability to breath. Because he was such a strong dog, he adjusted to the decreasing lung capacity until it finally become more than he could handle.

Lis was the best dog that ML could have ever brought home to our little house when we first moved to (hometown).  He spent over wonderful eight years with us and filled our home with love, laughter, and lots of activity. He had a very full life and went on many adventures, including some very exciting backpacking trips, many days and nights at the beach, and a few solo adventures where he broke out to explore the world on his own terms.

He was the most gentle dog. He was patient and careful with kids, and never met another dog that he didn't get along with. He was an awesome frisbee dog and I'm sure could have been our 'sugar-dog' if we'd taken him to frisbee competition. He was a great older brother to 'M', and taught her all about how to run the show at our house.

It was watching ML with Lis, the way that he so patiently cared for him and always anticipated his needs, that made me know what a loving father ML would someday be. Lis brought out the best qualities in us and taught us how to be a strong family.

His time with us way way too short and we will always remember the love that he shared with us.
Photobucket

12 comments :

Haidee said...

That made me cry, our fur babies mean so much to us and really are a part of our family (I have a black lab and cat and love them to death) (((BIG HUG)))

Kakunaa said...

What a sweet letter. And a sweet pup. Happy Thanksgiving love.

ColourYourWorld said...

Oh Lis was just beautiful and what a very special dog, I am sorry that you lost him.
I love your wedding pic, it's a fabulous memory to have.

Ashley said...

Aww losing a pet is so devastating. They truly are members of our family. That must have been a terrible year for you. Hopefully 2011 will be a much happier year for you.

Anonymous said...

He seems like a great dog. Thanks for sharing the letter and pictures.

Katie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Sorry about your furbaby :( I can't even think about having to say goodbye to one of ours. They bring me so much joy! Thank you for sharing and happy ICLW!

jill said...

Aww what a beautiful dog. I'm sorry for your loss :(

Rebekah said...

What a great dog :) I can't begin to imagine losing one of mine, they're my family. I'm sorry you had to go through the pain of losing him, but happy that he led such a great life that he go to share with you :)

Cherbear said...

oh he is too sweet! Thank you for sharing this with us.

It sounds like he had such a full and wonderful life with both of you.

I have a friend who I always quote. He always says "Every couple should raise a dog together before they raise a child" This friend now has 2 dogs and no children yet. Most of our other friends didn't follow his rules. LOL

Kristin (kekis) said...

Such a BEAUTIFUL boy! I know you miss him terribly. Our furbabies are truly a part of our family and leave a huge hole in our lives when they are gone.

We lost our (well, DH's) 14 1/2 year old furson Mackey in May, and I still miss him every day. This Christmas will be difficult without him sitting under the tree and his stocking not hanging from the fireplace. Like you, we have pets that were trained by Mack, but we won't ever be able to replace him. Hugs to you both as you miss Lis and his gorgeousness.

Anonymous said...

Here from ICLW - Sorry to hear about your pup. I have two cats that really opened my heart to the idea of being a parents and I'm sure I'll be devastated when their time comes. Take care of yourself. Sending you prayers and sticky baby dust for your next cycle.

It is what it is said...

I'm circling back to you from your comment on my blog. I have to say that your boy was one BEAUTIFUL dog (like in that stop in your tracks and would you look at that dog kind of way). I know you miss him greatly. We lost both of our beloved dogs within two months of each other in 2009 (that happens with dogs close in age). It was devastating. I still miss them.

 

My Foxy Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Especially for Foxy Designed by Giggly Girl Designs