inevitable questions

I can remember being in a grocery store with my mom. I must have been six or seven. My two younger sisters were in the cart. An older woman approached us to ohh and ahh over my littlest sister who was still quite young. I can so clearly remember the woman commenting on how different the three of us looked and asking my mother if we had the same father. The question confused me, but my mom explained to the lady that we all shared the same daddy. I remember so clearly that the lady was so nice and even now I don't think that she intended any harm by her question.


My mom was so matter of fact in her response, and so confident in her and my dads love for each of us, so proud of our differences. That was the first time I remember that question being asked, but most certainly not the last.


It is a totally inappropriate comment to make, regardless of the family circumstances. (In our case my sisters and I do share genetics from both our mother and father, but look very different from each other.) But people are curious and will ask questions, inappropriate or not. It is how we respond to and educate people about situations that they don't understand that really matters. It may not be a duty we signed up for, but it is necessary. I can only hope that others will offer me the same education when I say or do things that might be hurtful. 


As ML and I embark on building our family with the assistance of DS, I am thinking alot about how we will deal with the future questions and situations that are waiting for us. 


Mel reviewed a post by Kristen at I Spy a Family in her Round-Up last Friday. Kristen describes a situation that occurred in the grocery store, where a store clerk inappropriately questioned how her family was formed. She acknowledged that this was an inevitable situation for her family that has been built through adoption, but wishes that people would show respect for her children by asking questions when her children are not in ear shot. 


Kristen's post reminded me of that day we were in the grocery store, and all of the times since that the formation of my family has been questioned. It is a gentle reminder to me that these questions are normal, that we can expect them. The only part of this equation that we can control is our response. For some of us the emotions of our situation make it difficult to respond in a matter of fact way, and that is totally understandable. What I will always remember is that my mom didn't hesitate in her response, she was so confident in our family, there was no doubt about her love for my dad and their love for us. She made it so clear that we belonged together and that our differences were valued. 


I hope that I - that we all - can find that confidence. I hope that we can use it to educate others, and most importantly to show our children just how loved they are. 


Thanks Kristen for this great post, and thanks Mel for making sure that I didn't miss it!



Photobucket

11 comments :

Somewhat Ordinary said...

Thanks for directing me to the post as well. It is a fine line that we walk when we have to deal with comments or questions. It is interesting that your mom had three children that were all from the same parents and even sh got those comments. So, it isn't just those of us who built our families a little bit differently.

This was something that weighed very heavily on my mind before we conceived, as I was pregnant and in the first few months of my son's life. The strange thing is that more people tell us he looks like my husband than me.

Kakunaa said...

I am curious to see if WE end up getting those comments. If people will actually have the cajones to say stuff. Obviously they do. And I thought I had no filter. LOL. It will be okay, and it's a great way to educate. DH and I joke about it around other people on a regular basis.

Jes G said...

hi!!! stopping by for ICLW!! Thanks for your comments!! i read that post it was great!

My Bumpy Journey said...

I just don't understand why people ask questions like that. To me it is so rude- like "do you feed your kid only cheeseburgers, and is that why he/she is overweight?"
That is just me though.
I realize we are going to go through the same questions, and it scares me. Scares me b/c it might hurt my husband.

Kristen said...

Thanks for re-posting my blog, its been really wonderful reading everyone's thoughts on this topic in my comments.

I really hope to accomplish exactly what your mom did - express the pride and love I feel for my children and the way we became a family. Thanks for sharing your own experience, it reminds me exactly what my goal is when responding to these types of questions.

daega99 said...

I really enjoyed both posts and it made me think of questions I thought were odd when I was a child. As with your mom, my mom was very calm and straightforward when she responded. I wonder whehter I would be able to do the same with my extra 'baggage' that she didn't have. Still, I aspire to have her cool head in many situations and I hope I will emulate her if I get an odd question myself.

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Ashley said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and following me! I am now following you too! Great post. Also focuses on the issue on to share or not to share. Very complicated.

At our clinic if you use donor sperm you are forced to go and talk to the fertility counselor. I actually went to talk to her for other reasons - general coping coming up to our first IVF round and really found that she had great advice to offer.

I look forward to following along your journey!

Happy weekend!

Joyful Hope said...

People can be so rude sometimes. It's very strange. I remember being at the grocery store (why is it always the grocery store!?!) as a little kid with my mom and my 2 brothers. I had short hair, but not *that* short. An old man told my mom that she has 3 good-looking sons! I don't even remember what my mom said in response, but I remember that it really upset me! And that was just hair...

ICLW 128

Anonymous said...

I remember reading that too and you are right in that the only control we have is in our responses to those questions. Once Marie Osmond was with her children on some show and an audience member asked which children were adopted (she's adopted several). Marie Osmond smiled, looked around at her kids and said "you know, I really don't remember." and that was it. Here for ICLW!

Elaine VanDRiver said...

What a great, well written post. It is something I've never thought about and we are currently discussing adoption. Thank you so much for your thoughts.

~Elaine, ICLW

Krissi said...

I remember comments like this throughout my childhood too. My twin sister and I were adopted and my parents were so much older, there were always a ton of questions and assumptions. Such is life I suppose...but if the comments are hurtful, something should definitely be said. People may not realize how inappropriate they may be and need to be put in their place.
Good luck with this IUI! So exciting! Happy ICLW! (#72 & 106)

 

My Foxy Family | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Especially for Foxy Designed by Giggly Girl Designs